Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bad News Baileys!!

Unfortunately, on Friday morning we lost the baby. I wasn't feeling well on Thursday and called the midwives and was told to rest. By 5 am Friday morning I was having intense pain and bleeding. I called again at 7:30 and was told to come in as soon as they open which was 8:30. We went in and after a small chat and a look on their ultrasound (they couldn't see anything, the machine was very old) they sent us to the High Risk Pregnancy doctors down the hall. They did an ultrasound and confirmed that I was having a miscarriage. In fact they told us that by the look of things, the baby had probably died a couple weeks ago and that it was just cleaning itself out now. As this was the third miscarriage we have gone through, you can imagine we were pretty upset by the news, but we held our cool together (except for a few unavoidable tears from me during the final ultrasound).

As we told our families on Friday morning that we were going in and that there were some possible problems, they all started to pray. As our extended families started finding out they all dropped to their knees and started praying for us. The news spread to Chile fast and our sweet little cousins and their parents also were on their knees. We literally had an army of people pleading with the Lord on our behalf at the same time. Because of these prayers we were blessed and helped through this trial of ours to go as smoothly as possible. During the ultrasound there was a good piece of the sac left and so they started talking about our options, surgery or a pill that they now have to clean things out. After the minute it took to tell us about these options, she started looking at the ultrasound again and almost gasped! We asked what and she told us that the sac had actually moved from the top to the bottom and was going to expel itself naturally. She couldn't believe it, she said she had never seen that happen before. This is a miracle to us that came by the power of prayer! Because of this small blessing, I was saved from a lot more pain and a longer recovery. Never underestimate the power of prayer!

We are doing as well as expected. My pain is lessening and I am able to do a little more each day. Hopefully by Wed I will be able to go back to work and school. We also have our good moments and our bad moments emotionally, but for the most part we like to focus on the positive. There are blessing that will come out of this that we probably don't even know yet. There is a quote we have hanging on our wall that says "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain." With all the ups and downs we experience in this life, we have each other. What more could we ask for? Our marriage has been incredibly strengthened through this trial as we have clung to each other and the Lord. Experiences come and go, some are good, some are hard. I just hope that this one is one where we have learned to dance in the rain!

7 comments:

Becky said...

We're so sorry for your loss. Your post was inspirational to read, reminding us all that our prayers are answered even when things don't turn out the way we would have liked them to.

Erin said...

Tom and I are very sorry to hear of your loss. The Lord is always mindful of each of us. He will take care of you. That is great about all of the prayers offered in your behalf and the strength you were able to feel from them. Let me know if there is anything that we can do for you. I love you!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry for the disappointment, but it sounds like you have the right attitude about it! Just remember that everything happens for a reason and in its right time! Loves!!

Heidi said...

How sad. :(

Lisa said...

I'm so glad to hear that despite the difficulty of this trial, you still have a postive attitude. I'm so grateful for you and Gregory and how your strength has strengthen my testimony. I love you both so much and I know it's going to happen and it will truly be the most beautiful moment because you'll know all that you went through to hold that sweet infant in your arms. You both are in my prayers and again, I love you both!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

Oh Em, I'm so sorry for your guys' loss. That must be so hard. What a wonderful attitude you have though. Just try and remember everything happens for a reason and Heavenly Father really does know us. Take care! I miss you.

analisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I could tell from both posts how excited you both were to be parents. All things happen in time. You will both make excellent parents when the time is right.