So my surgery went well when they finally did it. Things on Friday went wrong from the beginning. I was told to call first thing in the morning to get a time set up to go in. After waiting for 45 min on hold with the midwives office, they finally picked up my phone call. There was a new secretary filling in at the desk and didn't know how to pick the phones up from being on hold. So after her apologies I told her I was supposed to call back and get my time to do a D&C. She had no idea what was going on as she told me they don't do D&C's. When I then explained to her I knew that, I just needed the time that was scheduled with the doctor, she still didn't understand so I just had her page the midwife. I was told to sit tight as the arrangements were being made. At 11:30 I got a phone call from the hospital's surgical center asking the general questions of when I ate and drank last and told me to get ready because they would be calling me within the hour. After 2 hours passed I was starting to get sick. I had not had anything to drink for almost 12 hours at that point per my midwife's instructions of being ready for an earlier surgery. I called them back and told them I was starting to get dehydrated and feeling sick because of it. (I get dehydrated really easily. It's very difficult for me to even go without water for two meals on fast Sunday's.) I was instructed to come into the surgical center and get checked in so they could start me on an IV. We then went to same day surgery where the receptionist knew nothing of what was going on. I had to explain to her what was happening and what I was sent to have done. Then she asked me which doctor was doing the surgery. I was lucky that I knew the name but that was only because his nurse had called me earlier that day to also tell me to get ready for surgery within the hour right after the hospital called. The frustrating thing to me at this point was that with all the tests I did the day before and all the visits I had had to the midwives (who are also located in the hospital), I had to give all my information to every department. Every different place I went I had to give them all the same documents. Don't they had computers that can collaborate all that information? And also, why did I have to explain to everyone what was going on? When I had my visit with the midwife the day before, they told me it was urgent and that we had to do it on Friday and it couldn't wait. So why did I have to do all the chasing down and making sure everyone was informed about what was going on? I have not been pleased with the midwives I have been seeing.
We were then taken to a room where I changed into size XX clothes that they put out for me. (Did I really gain that much weight in the 3 months I was pregnant?) Kelvin laughed when he saw me because I was literally swimming in them. We were barely able to get the pants to tie in the front they were so huge. After the laughs and a few jokes the nurse came in and gave me my IV. It hurt when she put it in and stung the whole time. I later realized when my hand turned up all bruised that it was because the vein was blown. (Basically she went right through it) It still worked though and I'll count my blessings for that. We sat for a few hours and then we went into surgery at about 5:30. They had had a couple of trauma's come in and so the surgeries that were scheduled were pushed back. But they got me in, gutted me like a fish, and then got me out. It went smoothly and I felt good as soon as I woke up. My mom was there and took me home as Kelvin had to go to work right after I was awake and stable. Thank goodness for mom's. What would we do without them. The weekend went well, except that with all the excitement that past 2 weeks, we completely forgot that it was Stake Conference on Sunday. We found out about half an hour after it ended that we missed it. I was bummed because we were ready for church early and were ahead of schedule and our Stake has excellent Stake Conferences. But what could we do at that point. Monday is when it hit me. I hardly slept Sunday night because I was in so much pain and felt so sick. Monday was just a bad day. I am feeling better today but missed work once again. Tomorrow is the day I am counting on. I need to feel better tomorrow so I can get back to work and my life. It's funny how much you appreciate feeling good when you feel so bad.
Thanks to everyone who did so much for us! We really appreciate everything from the phone calls, to the dinners and treats, the company, the well wishes and the love yous! They all meant so much to us. A special thanks to my Mom who has been here when I needed her and let me laugh, babble or cry! She had to drive a little ways to get to us and came up whenever I needed her. I love you so much!
2 comments:
Em-
I hope you are feeling better and I am thinking of you!
Em-
Glad you are feeling somewhat better. I love you, cousin.
ERIN
Post a Comment