We went back to our apt and ate lunch and went to a Chevy dealership in Frisco. Such a different feeling! The guy who came out to greet us was friendly and polite and very professional. We went on a few test drives and decided on a Chevy Cobalt. It was between a Sentra and the Cobalt and I know what you are all thinking, "Emilee let a Nissan that was within her reach leave her grasp?" Well, let me tell you, it was a little hard, but we both agreed that the Cobalt was probably the better choice. We bought it right then and there. Both of us felt good about it and it was a price range that we could afford. I was particularly excited because now I would have a car and not have to be stuck at home all day while Kelvin was at work. We drove home that night after doing a few family pictures with his family. The next day we were driving to the dealership in our fancy new car when a car started turning left while we were going straight. We started to turn and nicked the side of the car which sent us flying across a median and curb straight up a hill. Needless to say we were pretty shaken up about the ordeal. Lydia was in the car but we all emerged just fine. The other car and their passengers were just fine as well. We looked at the car and besides the tires all popping and a couple of the rims cracked along with some paint from the other vehicle, we got out okay. We had left a trail of oil and some metal pieces all up the hill so we assumed that the oil pan was torn off as well.
Turns out that the car needed a whole lot more work! A new engine, transmission, suspension, engine sub frame and all new suspension for starters. If there had been any body damage they probably would have just totaled the car. We thought it would take a couple weeks but the dealership has been HORRIBLE to work through and there was a delay with our insurance so it will end up being 3 1/2 weeks before we get our car back. I know that with all that work that there is a chance that the vehicle will not drive the same, but there is a lifetime warranty on the engine and transmission and the company that they bought them through is a reputable company that my dad uses so I am familiar with them. We are not worried about the repairs, we are just very anxious to have our car back. I want to have some freedom again and not be stuck at home! I do much better that way.
As far as the accident goes, apparently a few months back they changed the left lane on the feeder road of 121 to a left only and the middle lane to a straight and left turn lane. It was not very well marked and it is the only lane that does that on that feeder road. With it not being a busy intersection at all, we were very curious about why it is the way it is. Then when Kelvin went to pay the ticket we found out. The Police station is on that road and the cops didn't want to have to wait to turn left so they got the city to change it. The cops in the Colony have a reputation of not being very honest. Some are good and some are bad like in all cities, but this town is special. You would have to live here to understand, so I won't try to explain. So it stinks for us, but that's the way it is. The good news is that our insurance has accident forgiveness so this won't go on our record and Kelvin can go to Driving school so the ticket won't go on his record either. Plus that intersection is the only one that opens up to a hill where all the ones before and after have a huge concrete wall so had we not been at that intersection things might have been worse. Gotta count your blessings! Plus the engine we are getting has 10,000 fewer miles and the transmission is new. So that is a good thing indeed!
This is all the body damage to the car.
Here is one of the sliced up rims. All four tires were flat.
I know you can't really see it, but the engine and transmission were smashed up into the car which caused their need to be replaced.
2 comments:
Gee whiz, girl! I should have waited to read your blog AFTER I talked to you on the phone! I can't believe how many major things have happened in such a short amount of time! Hopefully the rest of your year is much quieter.
So sad! I hope you have the care fixed already, I heard there was drama with that too...
Post a Comment