My parents were scheduled to leave on Monday mid morning and Kelvin had to leave to go out of town early that morning. Jason woke up not feeling very well and was getting very congested. It had started coming on the night before and I didn't get a lot of sleep because he kept waking up coughing and congested. Well, after I dropped my parents off things just got worse. He seemed to be having a harder and harder time breathing. I was using the essential oils to help keep his congestion down but I could never really quite get on top of it. I thought he had just gotten a bad cold and the worst was going through his body. Little did I know...that night he hardly slept at all. I was pacing with a very sick crying baby all while trying to keep him upright so he could breathe all by myself because Kelvin was out of town on business. Lydia had been acting a little sick too on Monday but it wasn't bad so I didn't worry as much about her. She woke up a few times that night too.
When Tuesday morning came I called and got the first appointment I could with his Dr. When the Dr looked at him he told me that he had a sinus infection and RSV but luckily it was a more mild case so he didn't think that Jason needed oxygen for now and could be treated at home. I thought if this was a mild case I would hate to see a severe one. It's no wonder babies die from RSV, it was really scary. I left but only with a very emphasized warning that if he got worse at all I needed to bring him right into the Dr's or if they were closed then I had to go straight to the ER.
We got home and I tried to put Lydia to bed thinking that she would sleep since she was sick too. She screamed for almost 3 hours straight. She had been pulling on her ears for quite a few days so I thought she might have an ear infection the day before. I started treating her with oils but when she wouldn't take a nap on Tuesday I thought something must have gotten worse. So we went back into the Dr and she got an antibiotic. She had the same thing Jason did with a sinus infection and all. RSV doesn't affect older children the same as babies so they don't really worry about it that much. While he was examining Lydia he stopped to listen to Jason because he was afraid that he had gotten worse. Luckily that was not the case. I trudged home with 2 very sick kiddos. My mom felt so bad that she left. She had a feeling that things were going to be hard with Kelvin gone and both kids getting sick but didn't think that they could change the tickets. I wasn't worried about it. I know that they needed to get back.
Honestly I don't know how I got through those few days all by myself and Tuesday night was a night of constant getting up with one child or the other. Wednesday morning I called Maritza almost in tears and asked if she would come over and help watch the kids so I could take a nap. She did and I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow and didn't stir until 3 hours later. Kelvin came home that night and took care of Lydia while I had Jason. They both had improved greatly and I was very grateful and thankful that they were recovering so quickly.
Thursday was another tough day but I knew that I would be able to get some rest that night because Kelvin told me he would take the baby that night. I was so excited to get a full nights sleep and wouldn't you know it, the night that Kelvin takes Jason he sleeps ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT! I was so mad. I had spent 3 sleepless nights up with him and then when Kelvin takes him Jason decides to sleep through the night. Kelvin felt bad so he took Jason the next night too. Jason got up once to eat but that was it. Oh well! I guess being a mom includes lots of thankless jobs.
After surviving a bout of RSV in both kids at once, I think I deserve a break. Too bad that I don't get one for a long while. I was going to go with Kelvin on his latest trip out of town but we couldn't find anyone to babysit. Maybe soon I will get a break and a chance to really relax!
1 comment:
Ah yes, gotta love being a mom and dealing with sick kiddos. I'm glad you survive, lack of sleep is the worst. I think that's what makes us so awesome, because we get NO sleep and still somehow manage to take of the kids and the house and keep on going. ;)
Post a Comment