Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th of July

The day started off with us going to the doctor because I had been pretty sick for over a week, and found out that I got some bacteria/parasite from water! The doctor asked about traveling and camping and also about drinking any well water. I have no idea where I picked it up but have been doing better since I started the antibiotics I was put on. We could have done a full blown test to discover what species it was and where it possibly came from, but that would have cost a lot of money, and we don't have any insurance right now. After that was a great lunch! Grilled chicken, grilled zucchini, corn on the cob, and pasta salad! I loved every bite of that meal. Then we watched the movie "Valkyrie" (I think that's how you spell it) with Tom Cruise. I must say I wasn't interested in seeing the movie because Tom Cruise does not come off like the German type. He doesn't even have an accent in the movie. But the movie was based on actual events which I didn't know, and it turned out pretty good. Sad though.

We waited for Krystal to come home from work so we could go to the crowning event, the TEA party in Dallas! I had been looking forward to this for a while. It was nice to be able to do something to take a stand and try to fight for what I believe. There were some incredible speakers. The first one we heard was from Nevada and was pretty funny. The best story he told was about a brothel in Vegas. Prostitution is legal in Nevada and it is one of the most profitable businesses in the world. There was a brothel owner who owned the establishment for many years and made millions each year but didn't pay his taxes. So when the government came to throw him in jail he fled the country and now lives in Brazil somewhere. The federal government came in and instead of shutting the place down and selling off the assets, they run the place to try to get in with all the profits made. The business failed in less than a year. So if the government can't run the most successful and profitable business in the world, what makes them think they can run health care? That story got a good laugh! It was inspiring and motivated me to take a stand and try to do something more.

Question: Do you know what TEA stands for in these protests? (The answer at the end of this post)


Listening to the speaker




Don't mind the sweat ridden face, it was hot and I am still not quite used to the humidity.




One of the guys on stage was a member of the Monkeys band. When he got on stage some of the older women went crazy and started screaming. They ran up to the stage and held their hands out for him to touch. He obliged them and they started dancing, eyes locked on him! It was so funny.




They made a large Declaration of Independence that we got to sign!




Kelvin making his mark




Can you find both of our names? Hint, Kelvin signed with his middle name.




The TEA party was held at Southfork Ranch which was actually the place where the TV show "Dallas" was filmed. That is the main house in the background. It was beautiful. The specks in the picture were from things in the air floating all around.




After the TEA party we went back to Frisco to see the fireworks. And not without our own rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" in the car on the drive. If only I would have been recording at that moment!












TEA= Taxed Enough Already
Congratulations to those who answered correctly. And to those who did not know, you learned something new today!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love your pictures! You guys got some good ones at Ripley's. I'm sad we couldn't got to the Tea Party with ya'll, looks like they had an awesome turn out!