Sunday, August 8, 2010

New Me

After having the baby and having more weight to lose, I have been feeling very old. I felt frumpy and boring and felt like I literally looked 5 years older. After asking Maritza and Lisa if I did look older they reassured me that this was a normal emotion that women can go through. Lisa told me that I just needed to cut my hair. One of the things I have loved about myself is my hair and how long it was. The problem is that even though it is long, I have no time or energy to do it. It always goes up in a pony tail or something pulled back and I feel like I look the same as I have for years. The thing is that I have had the same style of hair for years. Even if I cut it, it would be the same style just shorter. So I took Lisa's advice to heart and even listened to her when she said I needed to do something totally different. On Friday while Gregory and I were out running errands, he decided that I should just get my hair done that day. So we went to the salon that his mom and sisters get their hair done and I got a stylist named Roxy. I was very nervous but showed her the pictures that I liked of hair styles completely different from mine. The three pictures were similar but there was one that we both liked the best. I was so nervous the entire time but knew I HAD to do something different with my hair. My stylist took a before and after picture because she likes to have them when people do their hair drastically different from before. I wish we had done a before and after picture as well but didn't think about it until too late. The whole time I held my breath but started to get excited toward the end. When Gregory walked in he had to do a double take. Lydia smiled at me right off and knew who I was which was great since I was worried that she wouldn't recognize me.

So I now have much shorter hair (they cut off about 8 inches) and longer bangs that swoop over to the side of my face. It has been thinned and straightened and I LOVE it! Gregory loves it too. I was on cloud nine the whole day I loved the way I looked. It was just what I needed to feel good about my appearance again.









At the end of the day we took family pictures again from a friend of Gregory's dad in the ward. We got all dressed up and I was feeling like a million bucks until the lady asked me to straighten my shirt and then lift up my head in an awkward position. She then told me "I know that you have just had a baby and when we have babies we have more weight on us then we would like so this is to lengthen the neck ....." I stopped listening after that thinking "Did she actually just call me fat?" My bubble was deflated!!! She could have just told me that my shirt was bunching up and it needed to be fixed. Really didn't need the long harsh explanation. I have since recovered form that comment but couldn't believe that someone would say that. Oh well. I am doing everything I can be doing to lose the weight and I can't do more than that. But I have also since decided that I am not going to let a comment like that ruin how happy I am at how far I have come and hard I have had to work to get to the point I am at right now. So for now I am just excited about my new look and look forward to looking better with every passing day!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

LOVE IT!!! SO glad you were brave and did something totally beautiful with your hair.

And OUCH! I didn't know that lady said that!! What a jerk! I thought she was weird anyways and was completly confused as to why we were taking pictures in the dark and PS-YOU DID NOT LOOK FAT! I still can't believe she said that!!

Heidi said...

How CUTE! I love the bangs! I changed my hairstyle after I had Ellie and I changed it again after having Sienna. I think there IS a correlation there. :P

When I started working out at the gym after having Sienna, one of the play-room workers said, "Wow, you look great!..." I was getting all excited and then she added, "...for having just had a baby." And then my bubble was burst. lol. :P

Jennifer said...

Love the cut!

The Hamiltons said...

Just so you know you look HOT!! I think your hair cut makes you look thinner. Sometimes I get asked my students if I am pregnant so it happens even to me.