Wednesday, October 26, 2011
A New Testimony
Ever since I have been in Relief Society I have heard about Visiting Teaching and how inspired it is and what a good tool it can be. I have always believed that and when I have been in leadership positions have even talked about the same things talking about others amazing experiences with this inspired organization. I have not had visiting teachers visit or talk to me for at least 5 years plus years. It's never really bothered me but I always thought it would have been nice to have some. Well, I had a visit this month from my visiting teacher in this ward and I was blown away! Not only did she come in and we had a spiritual discussion and then just chit chatted for a while while our kids played, she really wanted to know about me and then started talking about bring in meals, organizing play dates and the like when our baby comes. I was shocked that someone would be so thoughtful. Usually when I've had a visiting teacher it was always the "is there anything you need" question and I am not one who asked for help. Maybe it's a pride issue, I don't know. I just hate the thought of putting someone else out to help me so I just never ask for help even when I need it. When she started talking about the play dates I was very grateful that someone would think about that need before I had even thought about it. Then she told me that she could come by a few times and get Lydia to take to her house so she can get used to being there and asked if next week would work. I said yes and yesterday she came to pick up Lydia for a couple of hours so I could take a nap. I was crying when she loaded Lydia up into her car and she asked if I was okay. I told her I was just tired and emotional but I was totally overcome with gratitude that someone would be that kind. I got some rest and a little cleaning done and when Lydia come back she had had an incredible time. My VT told me that she was just in love with Lydia. They went in her backyard and put her daughter on the trampoline with Lydia and she said she had never heard a child laugh so much. They adored her and Lydia gets along really well with her kids. I am still emotional about such a wonderful person coming into my home and not asking, but seeing a need and then filling it. She magnified her calling and I will ever be grateful that my personal situation matters enough for others to step in and not just "understand" or ask if there was something they could do because in all honesty I would have just said no, I was alright. I have gained a new testimony of Visiting Teaching and will now always try to be that sister who comes in and can fill a need without necessarily needing to be asked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is so ironic that you posted this because I just barely got done writing a post about VT program. I'm so grateful that you have a good VT who is fulfilling her calling but also just being a good friend. Such a blessing. :)
Post a Comment