Thursday, June 11, 2009

Scared? Me? Never!

I didn't sleep last night. As you all are so curious, I am sure, and asking me why, while sitting on the edge of your seats, I will tell you.......I was introduced to a real Texas storm. I have always loved rain and lightning storms, but really only remember storms from Utah which are pretty mild. Last summer in Texas there were a few storms but not quite like this. They were over relatively quickly and not really that bad. Along with always loving storms, I have always hated loud noises. This is not a good thing when you find yourself in a severe thunderstorm in Texas. And what is a severe thunderstorm you might ask? I will give you the 3 criteria that classifies a storm as severe.

1. Hail that is 3/4 of an inch or greater in diameter

2. Winds 58 miles per hour or greater (the winds here are 65 and greater right now)

3. Tornadoes

And add onto that a crazy amount of thunder and lightning and you have a Texas severe thunder storm. Our apartment is located in the back of the building and there is a little ally way behind the complex. That alley way is covered by trees so we get very little if any sunlight. The lightning is so bright that it seems like it's in front of our apartment when it flashes. And the thunder is so LOUD!! It is rattling windows, setting off car alarms, and dogs are crying and howling. The power has gone off numerous times but luckily it has not stayed off for long periods of time. It got so bad last night that I woke up Kelvin when I got really scared and cuddled with him almost all night. Whenever the thunder would crash I would jump about 3 feet, he would laugh, and then I would hold onto him tighter. Neither of us slept much because it was so loud. I don't know of any damage yet, I haven't dared to venture outside. But we are safe and I think it is over now so hopefully we can get some sleep tonight.

2 comments:

theJerm said...

Wow that sounds like some loud thunder. It is definitely a keep you awake type of thing. Maybe I will invent some ear things that block all sound for humans and dogs alike.

Krystal said...

Welcome to Texas! :D hehehe. Don't worry, after a few months you just sleep right through them and don't ever know there was a storm at all!