So after a long and hard fight, it's now official....I am on Bed Rest for the rest of this pregnancy. My Dr has suggested it a few times and I have fought it for a while, but not anymore. It comes as a mutual decision between our Dr, Kelvin and myself. Kelvin has been wanting me to go on bed rest for a while but I haven't wanted too because I thought I would go crazy without having anything to do, and I thought I could just deal with the pain and exhaustion. But this time it's not just about me, I have a baby I have to consider and decided that this was the right decision for her as well.
The good thing about the bed rest I have been put on, is that it is not a confined rest. I can still go to family functions, church and a few other activities as long as I am not up and about for more than a few hours and have adequate time to rest after. Hopefully this will help with the contractions, the pain, and the complete exhaustion that has overcome me. The past two days have been VERY difficult, in fact I broke down crying 4 different times at work yesterday, and that was the final straw. When I woke up yesterday I could barely get out of bed I was so tired and then could barely walk because I was in so much pain. Kelvin told me to call in sick, but me being the stubborn girl I am sometimes decided to go to work anyway. Looking back, I think that was a good decision because it made me realize that I can't keep going like I have been. My body for some reason is not handling or responding well to these last 2 months of my pregnancy and I really needed to take a step back and consider our child. Normally I would just suck it up and deal with it because that's usually what I do. But when I was talking with a woman at work yesterday, she told me that there could be complications and problems with labor and delivery if I was not physically, mentally and emotionally put together when that time came, and that there was no job or amount of money that was worth my sanity through the last month of this pregnancy. Not to mention, I need to try to keep our baby in me as long as possible up to her due date. After another breakdown to Kelvin on the phone yesterday after work, he told me that that was it! He was going to put me on bed rest himself. So I called the Dr yesterday and explained what was going on and without hesitation she faxed a letter right over to my employer.
It's weird thinking that there is not anything for me to do during the day now but I have had a good chance to rest today and feel a little better. Hopefully after a few days, I can regain some strength and be able to add just a little more into my day. (My tub desperately needs to be scrubbed!! Not that I plan on taking that task up anytime soon.) On the bright side, I will have more time to focus on my Spanish and piano. I have been way too tired after work to do anything with either of these so they have taken a back seat. Now I might have some time to make some progress. We will see. All I can say is, the library is going to be my best friend for a while. I'm going to get lots of reading in.
3 comments:
i hope you enjoy it! think of it as some much needed rest before the baby comes! maybe if you get too much sleep right now it will make up for the lack of it when the baby is here! :) i think you made the right decision. i wish i lived closer so I could scrub your tub and make you dinner and bring you books! take care! love you!
I have totally been there. For months and months! I even found a bed rest support group on yahoo that kept me entertained for awhile. Preterm labor stinks.
Well I am impressed. You held out for a long time! Let me know if you need to borrow any long movies like Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, or Gone with the Wind. :)
Post a Comment