Thursday, January 10, 2013

RSV, Take Two!

It's been a BAD fall and winter with illness.  Not just in our home, but everywhere.  It doesn't help that we catch everything that comes around because we are in a new area and getting used to the germs that are around.  It happens every time we move.  Although this year has been particularly bad.

I have been going through my oils like crazy and constantly putting them on the kids to protect them from getting more sick, or keep them from getting it all together.  They have done a pretty good job I must say.  So when Jason started with a croupy cough and getting sick, I mixed up my normal oils for croup and started putting it on him.  He had the croup twice this year already and when I put oils on him, it was gone within a matter of 2 hours.  The oils have been awesome.  But this time it didn't go away in a couple hours.  I kept putting them on his little feet and chest and also added them to his back/spine.  After a couple days he started to get worse.  I was very perplexed as what was going on.  I tried a few more oils and still things were looking worse.  When he would cough, it almost sounded like a small whooping and that's when I got scared.  I called the Dr right away and he squeezed Jason in even though the clinic was closed.  I was afraid that it was whooping cough.  Even though he is all caught up on his vaccinations, I heard you can still get it before you are a year old.  The Dr then did a pretty through check up on him and told us that it was RSV.

Now Jason had RSV when he was a couple of months old and it was scary then, but this time he got it really bad.  In fact the Dr put him on round the clock breathing treatments and a precautionary whooping cough medication and wanted to see him first thing on Frday morning (it was a Wed night we saw him).  If he had not improved by then we were looking at a hospital stay.  We were very diligent with his breathing treatments and gave him a blessing.  When we went to see the Dr first thing on Friday morning, Jason had improved significantly.  I was so excited!  He was starting to feel a lot better and turned around very fast.  If he would have gone in the hospital, we would probably have not been able to make it to Utah.  He got better so fast and hasn't had any problems or symptoms with his lungs since.  We were a little worried that he would get asthma because he got RSV twice in less than a year, but so far, that's not the case.

It was so sad to see him like this!  My poor little baby.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

So sad! I have some pictures of Tristan with that same mask on...it is the saddest thing ever! So glad he's better now. :)