Monday, March 1, 2010

Chilean Family

For those who don't know, Kelvin's family lives in Concepcion, Chile. His mom and aunt are in America but his grandma, aunts and uncles, and cousins are living right where the 8.8 earthquake hit on Sat in Concepcion. We were woken up by the news early Saturday morning and went to spend the day with Ed and Marta (his aunt, from Chile, and uncle). We watched the news most of the day and were worried sick trying to get a hold of someone there to tell us how everyone is doing. (One of his uncles has a cell phone as well as one of his aunts and that's how we were trying to communicate with them.) Well, on Sunday morning we got the first word from them. His uncle Fabian was finally able to get a signal for a few minutes after trying all day and called Kelvin's mom. We found out that everyone was fine. The phone call only lasted for a min or so because his batteries were dying, but at least we knew everyone was alive. We are now praying that they all have food, water and shelter to last them until the military can come and help restore order from looters and other organizations can help them rebuild.

Even though I haven't met his family in Chile, I feel a very special bond and closeness with them that is hard to describe. I truly think of them as my own family and am so grateful for the miracle of their safety from the destruction. Kelvin's dad said it right when he stated that the "Lord isn't through with Concepcion. The church is building a temple there and that will not not stop." I agree with him and know that the Lord is very mindful of the people there including our family. Hopefully we will be able to know more about their situation soon so we can send relief as needed and have some peace that their physical needs are being met.

Bridges and roads are crucial to get into Concepcion so the destruction of the roads has proved difficult for the authorities to get to the people there, let alone get supplies to them.


Chile has strict building codes because of earthquakes in the past. If this earthquake could do this, imagine what it would have done had they not had the building codes in place!


Not only did they have an earthquake, but a tsunami also hit the city. It was a double disaster that ended up costing more lives.


I saw this picture this morning and I think it conveys most people's thought. Vive Chile!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am very glad to hear they are all safe. I was worried when I heard about the quake... It doesn't matter that you've never met them - they are your family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them as well. Let us know as you hear more from them.

Taylor said...

I am so glad that they are all ok, they will be in our prayers.

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! I am so glad that everyone is okay! We have been praying for all the people out there that have been hit by natural disasters lately. It is so scary how quickly these things can happen to anyone.

Bradley H said...

I'm glad your family is ok! Once I get through school I'm going to end up putting myself right in the middle of these things so I can help people.