Monday, June 28, 2010

Lydia's Personality

My mom told me once that this generation of babies all have very strong spirits and are very anxious to experience life. This could not be more true with my little girl. She is already showing her personality in ways I didn't expect. She can be very particular about things sometimes. She likes to be held with her face turned out so she can see everything going on. She doesn't like to be left alone for too long (being left alone is when mom is out of sight) or sitting by herself for too long. She likes to be walked around with one arm around her chest and the other holding her pacifier in. If you try to deviate she will let you know that that is not what she wants. She is starting to do pretty well about taking naps only screaming for a couple minutes before she falls asleep, but she refuses to sleep for long amounts of time. I can only think that this is because she want's to see and hear everything that is going on. There are times when she even refuses to take a nap because there is so much to see and do.

When she is tired and in her crib but doesn't want to sleep she will lift up both her legs and her booty and then slam them down on the mattress to try to keep herself awake. She will also do this in her sleep to try to wake herself up. It is not always successful, but so darn cute!!!

Then there are those glares! She has the death glare down so well that it still amazes everyone when they get it. She will give it when someone interrupts mommy time or even try's to make her smile when she doesn't want to. But when that girl smiles and laughs, it lights up the entire room. All you have to do sometimes is look at her and she will burst out laughing. She loves to have her legs and feet kissed and played with. She is a joy that I cherish. She is the most expressive baby that I have EVER seen. In fact I have a whole folder in my pictures dedicated to her many faces. She has a look for everything and it is hilarious!

Yesterday at Church I was talking to a lady while walking with Lydia outside the chapel during sacrament meeting and the conversation turned to being a mother. I told her that no body warned me that being a mom was going to be so hard. She said that she felt like she was in the same situation when her first was born and wondered what was wrong with her and why she didn't have the perfect babies. She told me that she realized that she needed to savor the "perfect moments". I loved that. There will never be perfect days or weeks or months, but there will be perfect moments and that is what makes being a mother all worth it. I have had a few of those perfect moments and am amazed at how much they bring this little child into my heart more and more.

1 comment:

Krystal said...

It's true, this little baby definitely has a strong personality! But I love it! It's been so much fun living with a baby. I've never had that experience before, and I'm glad that it gets to be with Lydia. :)