Monday, June 28, 2010

New Callings

This last week marked the half way point of us being in Texas. We only have 6 more weeks until we head home. So when a member of the bishopric called to speak with Gregory we thought there is no way it would be a calling. We were wrong. He met with us and told us that there was a dire need in the Primary for teachers and even though we would only be here for 6 more weeks, they gave us a calling to be teachers to the 7 year olds. Obviously we said yes and then he told us it would be great if we would go to our class today and get to know them. We were told that we didn't have to teach because another sister who was called was asked to teach so all we would do is get to know them if we wanted we didn't have to. So after sacrament meeting we made our way to the Primary and guess what? The teacher didn't show up for our class or the other 7 year old class. When we showed up and asked the Primary President which one was our class, she said "oh good you showed up", then handed us the manual and said "the other teacher isn't here so we will be combining the classes today and you get to teach. Here's your Baptism by fire!" So we went in and taught 2 classes of 7 year olds off the cuff. It was surprisingly fun and the kids all loved the baby.

Normally we have to walk around with Lydia all through Sunday school and Relief Society and Priesthood because she will not stay calm. But when we took her to Primary, that girl could not get enough of everything going on around her. She stared at the music leader and the pictures and loved all the kids. We sat through all of Primary without a peep from her. After being amazed by this for a little bit, Maritza made a really good point. Almost the entire time I was pregnant, I was in the Primary. She is used to hearing the songs and the kids and so she probably felt at home and where she was used to being. It was so cute and we are excited to see how the rest of the summer goes.

Ever since we got married, I have had nothing but callings in the Primary. First as a teacher with Gregory and then as a counselor in the Presidency and now as a teacher again. Those are the only callings I have had. Gregory has been teasing me about it saying that the Lord must have something in mind for me with the Primary or I haven't learned my lesson yet. I just laugh. I really like the Primary. Sure there are times when I get tired of it and want to be in Relief Society, but for the most part, the Primary is one of the best callings you can get.

No comments: