Monday, November 22, 2010

Cafe Rio Recipes

After a few requests I am posting the recipes that I cooked up the other day that resemble cafe rio. 

Cafe Rio Rice
4c water
4 t chicken bouillon
4 t garlic –minced
½ bunch cilantro
1 can green chiles—or equivalent fresh
¾ t salt
1 T butter
½ onion
2c rice (see note)

Blend cilantro, green chiles and onion together in food processor. (I just used my blender and it worked fine)  Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients, simmer covered 30 minutes.

If you are using instant rice use 3 cups water to 3 cups rice.  I used regular rice because boiling 30 min for instant rice seems to be long.  This rice was great and we will definitely make it again.

*Caution-this recipe make A LOT of rice!  I would recommend doing half the recipe to start with unless your family eats a lot of rice.

Cafe Rio Dressing
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet (make as per recipe)
2 tomatillos (tomato like vegetable with a husk around them)
½ bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeño (Use the seeds too if you like it spicy. You could substitute a few drops of green Tabasco for the jalapeno.)
Use a food processor to blend all the ingredients well. Refrigerate.

I haven't done this recipe yet but am anxious to try it.

Cafe Rio Chicken
1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
3 cloves garlic—minced
5 lbs chicken breast

Cook all together in a crock pot for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour.

I also haven't tried this recipe and will probably half it as well when I do make it.  Like I said before, these aren't the exact recipes because those are confidential but hey, the closest you can get the more money you can save right?  Hope you all enjoy these and let me know how yours turns out!!

No comments: