Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How Many Does It Take?

5! That's right, Lydia is now on her 5th formula. Poor little thing has had so many tummy problems with formula's that we are now trying her 5th one. I must say that she has been great throughout all her changes. The Dr told us that babies can struggle switching formula's so we needed to implement it slowly, but she has taken right to it which is a blessing. I have been able to change her formula when I knew that the one she was on was not working for her little body, without any complaints or problems from her. Probably because she knew that something was wrong and she was hoping and praying like the rest of us that the newest formula would work. Well after many prayers, I think we might have found a winner. So far this formula seems to be working well and we haven't had any problems so far. I really hope that this one works because there aren't many more options out there that we could try. I do feel good about this one and keep praying that she continues to do well. It's amazing how resilient babies are. She has had to be though with everything she has had to do since she was born. We have moved 3 times and will move twice more within the year, changed formulas, been on her first plane ride, had a pretty drastic change in climate and many other things. She can pretty much adapt to anything at this point.

Unfortunately she has now taken to spitting up. She hasn't been a spitter so I was hopeful that she had escaped the Wager gene (we are know for being babies that spit up an incredible amount and having babies just like us), but it's looking like that is not the case. I personally think that her acid reflux has a lot to do with it but at least she is happy.

Her naps are starting to come along as well. I started to feel like she needed to start "crying it out" for her naps. This really frightened me because I read in a book that if you let babies do that they have abandonment issues. I knew that as a newborn I would never do that because up to about 3 months you really can't spoil a child and when they are that young, a babies wants are their needs. I always said when she is a little older and it's a power struggle rather than a need to be comforted, I would start. I had no idea that the power struggle would start so soon but it has and I was able to tell that this past week as I have had a hard time listening to my child scream. It didn't even take a full week to get her used to it. I knew that she could fall asleep on her own, she does it every night when we put her to bed, so I had hoped that she would catch on really quick with her naps and luckily she has. When I start putting her down I cuddle with her and sing a song and she will understand what is going to happen half way or a quarter into the song and start to cry. But I just finish my song and then lay her down, sometimes she is crying and sometimes not, give her a kiss and then leave the room. She then screams but now it's for about 1 min and then she falls asleep. She knows now that mom is not going to come back in. Before I would go in about every 5 min and only let her cry for 15 but she would always fall asleep before the 15 min was up. Now I believe that she has gotten a pretty good handle on it. The only thing we need to work on now is the length of time she takes for her naps. I would like to have hour long naps rather than 30 min. I think that will come in time though. For now, I am just grateful that she is taking naps.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

YAY!! Success!! As hard as it was, I'm so proud of you, Lydia will really benifit from learning to fall asleep on her own and so will you. Way to keep at it!!