Puget Sound in Seattle interviewed Gregory a few weeks back at the University of Utah after meeting him at the job fair the University held. They were apparently quite impressed with him and about 2 weeks ago called and asked if he would fly down to Seattle to take a tour of the naval base and interview with some of the head guys there. We thought it would be a great opportunity to explore and accepted the offer. Even though we have done 3 internships with Lockheed Martin, we always said that we needed to keep our options open and that we would go where the Lord wanted us to go. Gregory was very excited because he was going to get a personal tour of an aircraft carrier. The company paid for his plane ticket, a rental car, his hotel room, food expenses, and anything else that came his way while there. They even offered to fly him up a day early so he could do some site seeing. He would have accepted that offer if I would have been able to go with him but since I would have to stay home because we couldn't afford the ticket, he decided against it even though I told him he should do it. He said it wouldn't be fun without me. Awww! What a sweetie! So on Sunday morning I drove him to the airport in the most horrendous road and weather conditions. We saw at least 5 accidents or cars that had slid off the roads and it took us almost twice as long to get there but luckily we made it there fine and I made it back fine. I was supposed to go to my parents house for the 2 1/2 days he would be gone but it was so cold and the roads were so bad that both my mom and I decided it would be better for me to stay in Murray. So Lydia and I were hunkered in our apartment. The Storm lasted from Sat night to Monday afternoon. We got so much snow I am almost tired of it already. I have forgotten how cold it gets here in the winter time because last year I was in my third trimester all of winter so I had my own little personal heater. This year...not so much! Just let me say that it is FREEEEEEEZING!! Our car doesn't do well in the cold either so sometimes the heater doesn't work, Oh the joys of being in our last year of school.
Here he is as close to the ship yard that you can get with a camera. During his tour of the base he wasn't allowed to bring anything with a camera including his phone. Poor guy got sick the day before he left so his face is a little pale in the picture.
There was a museum across from his hotel that shows a mock of the naval base.
He really enjoyed his tour and the job seems to be great. Every time he went outside he would tell me that I would LOVE living there because it was so beautiful and green and overcast. I love the rain and stormy clouds so the northern west is right up my alley. Gregory however is a sunshine kind of guy and like to soak in the heat but he did think it was very pretty there. It was a great opportunity for him and he is very glad that he was able to go. In fact they loved him so much that they called him the day after the interview and said they were ready to extend and offer to him. We were shocked that they called so early because they told him that it would be about 2 weeks until they would hear back and they called Gregory before he was even back in Utah. That's my man though. He is very hard working and very marketable. Those 3 internships have done a lot for his resume because while others are graduating without any real work experience, he has 3 different types of job experience in Mechanical Engineering (every summer he did something different with Lockheed). So now we get to decide which of his job offers we will be taking and where we will be moving too, Seattle or Dallas. Two very different places to put some roots.
4 comments:
I'd get to see you a lot more if you moved to Seattle! Plus, it's a much shorter drive to Utah than Dallas is. :) ... You should talk to Sarah and Wendy and see what pros and cons they have for living in the Seattle area.
We are so proud of Gregory! Go Gregory!!!
That's awesome news!
Of course... you start thinking about moving to Seattle just as we are thinking about moving from Portland!! I think Seattle is much better than Dallas, but I don't do heat. Seattle houses are a bit more expensive than Dallas houses, but Seattle has more green and some pretty awesome seafood! And one more thing... no state income tax! Wahoo!
Post a Comment