Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Sad Few Days

On Monday Lydia woke up and I could tell that she just wasn't feeling very well.  She had some very runny and messy diapers but I held her most of the day and she took decent if not long enough naps.  I didn't think much of it when we put her to bed, but when she woke up at 11pm I could tell by her cry that something was wrong.  I tried to comfort her the best I knew how and calmed her down after changing her diaper.  After being in bed for about 8 min she started to cry again.  We went on and off like this for 2 hours when I finally woke Gregory up and asked if he could calm her down because I was so tired and it wasn't working.  I had changed a few diapers during that 2 hour time frame.  After 10 min of her screaming bloody murder I got up and went to check on them.  He sat her up and she let out the loudest burp I had ever heard from a baby.  I thought at that point that that was what was probably wrong and she would go back to sleep but I was very wrong!  Her crying got worse and I tried to take her but all she wanted was her daddy.  When my parents came down a short while later they also knew something was wrong.  When I told them that she had been up since 11pm my dad told me he knew.  Oops!  Sorry!  He wasn't mad she had kept him up just worried because they could tell that something was wrong.  After a blessing Gregory got her a little more calmed down and they went into the downstairs family room to watch a movie.  She still only wanted him.  He sat her up because she screamed whenever we laid her down.  After getting them settled for a while, I went back to bed so I could take the early morning shift as we both knew that she wasn't going to sleep very long.  When she woke up at 5:30am I took her and changed her diaper again and gave her a bath when she wouldn't go back to sleep.  She cried and cried the entire time something that she NEVER does.  This scared me a little because she usually calms right down when I give her a bath.  We put her back to bed and she slept for a couple more hours and then had a very hard rest of the day not taking good naps and having really bad diapers.  Of course she got really bad diaper rash that quickly turned into bad sores.  We have been using lots of diaper rash cream and corn starch to soak up all the liquid (thanks for the tip mom) and in case you are wondering, the corn starch really works!  (You just have to use very liberally)  While her little booty is still very sore and even looks like it's going to bleed in some places, it is getting better and she is feeling better.  It is one of the hardest things to see your child in pain and not be able to do anything about it.  You feel so helpless and want to make it all better but you can't.  This was how the 4 grown ups in the house were feeling.  Matt slept through all her screaming from 11pm - 2:30 am (well, he is a teenager).  Total sleep time for Lydia was about 7 hours when she normally gets 11.  She was exhausted all day!!!!

Today has been a better day.  Although a few diapers have been bad, she is perking up and has a little more color to her.  She has also been eating more and been happier.  I am pretty sure that I know what happened.  I think it was something that she ate and gave her BAD stomach cramps and diarrhea.  This was why she wanted her dad because she was scared and really hurting and didn't understand what was happening.  Daddy's make kids feel safe.  Gregory was pretty thrilled that she wanted him to comfort her because he so rarely gets to.  It made his day and didn't bother me one bit that she didn't want me.  After the night of no sleep Gregory and I caught sleep whenever we could yesterday and I was scared for last night thinking that I would be up with her all night.  Gregory could get work off on Tuesday because he didn't have any classes but Wed he had to go to class so I was it for her last night.  My mom said that she would help and I gratefully accepted.  Turns out that the poor little thing was so exhausted that she woke up at 11:45pm that night only to be practically asleep when I laid her down again and gave her a bottle and didn't wake up until 8am this morning.  I felt good all day!  She took a 2 hour nap this morning which gave me time to do my workout and shower and get my scripture studying in.  I can only pray that tonight will be just as good.  We put her down an hour early last night because she was so tired and I did that again tonight so hopefully it won't backfire on me and she will wake up 1 hour early tomorrow. 

Lydia is doing much better today and hasn't had problems with her tummy.  I am confident that the issue is over and will not be feeding her certain foods for a long long time!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor thing! Kids should not be allowed to get sick, its the saddest thing to watch as a parent.

Mari said...

Poor baby...I am so glad that there were many helpers to comfort her and the parents!