Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sick Sick Sick!

I have really had enough of this HORRIBLE cold and flu season.  For some reason it has hit Utah really bad this year.  Everyone's kids have been catching one thing after another.  It's terrible but I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones going through this.  This last weekend can you guess what happened????  Yep!  She got sick again.  This time was the worst though.  She was throwing up, grown up style, for 2 days with a fever.  I kept a close eye on her, kept her on fluids so she didn't dehydrate, and did more laundry than I care to think about.  I thought I would watch her for a day or two and if she didn't get any better than I would take her into the Dr.  Sunday she seemed to be doing a little better and by Monday she was doing a lot better.  She still has the cold part and is so congested.  In fact this morning I had to rush into her room because she was choking from all the mucus draining in her throat.  I have had to keep her nose plunged (which she obviously hates and fights me on) and I have been sneaking her a little decongestant.  I know most people will think I'm horrible for giving her that, but in small doses I really don't see the harm and it has made her life a lot easier.  Today has been a pretty good day and I don't think that I'm gonna take her in because she seems to be getting over things fairly quickly.  We still can't wait to get to Texas and leave all this sickness behind us!  In fact Gregory hasn't been feeling too well and neither has my little brother Matt.  The best part about being sick is the Homemade Chicken Noodle soup!  Boy oh boy does it smell really good right now simmering on the stove getting ready to be tonight meal.  Can't wait.

Tomorrow is a big day for me.  My parents are leaving for Hawaii for a week and in that week I get to leave Lydia with various relatives while I work Full Time.  I don't know how some parents do it and I'm sure I wouldn't have quite the same anxiety if she wasn't still a little sick and clingy.  My parents are thrilled to be going and they really do deserve a good break and vacation.  Things will be just fine I know but I have never been away from her for more than 5 hours at a time and most of those times are when she is sleeping anyway.  It will be a new experience for me.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, this winter has been horrid for being sick. Just as soon as one/both of them get over it, they get it from somewhere else. Aidan also hates having his nose plunged/touched, and since he weighs a bit more than Lydia, it's pretty much impossible to do it with only one person. Kaelen, on the other hand, is now addicted to wiping his nose. His cheeks are perma-chapped. Joy.
Enjoy your week being away. It is definitely hard being away from your kid, especially when you're not used to it. But it is also kind of nice to be away and dealing with adults all day. And this way, Lydia gets to play with the rest of her family!!

Heidi said...

Ooh, yucky! I am glad that Lydia is getting better!

FYI, I registered for the 5k yesterday. There's no turning back now! :)